I love peering into the refrigerator, seeing what’s in there and coming up with something based on what’s there.
This veggie side was born of the kale that came in my brother’s CSA box last week and the multiple red peppers that were in their fridge last night.
Red and Greens
2-3 gloves garlic
2 bunches lacinato (dino) kale, stemmed and chopped
1 large red pepper, halved and cut into strips
1 c. chicken broth
1) Heat olive oil in large sauté pan; sauté garlic until it begins to brown.
2) In handfuls, add kale to sauté pan. Let each handful wilt before adding the next, until all kale has been added to the pan.
3) Add red peppers to kale and sauté until they begin to soften. Salt and pepper to taste.
4) Pour chicken broth into pan. Bring to boil.
5) Simmer greens covered until they are fairly soft, approximately 20-30 minutes.
– Replace black pepper with ¼-½ tsp. crushed red pepper
– Substitute ham or veggie broth for chicken broth
– Try 1 c. apple cider instead of broth (or half cider and half chicken broth)
– Toast ¼ c. pine nuts and top greens with nuts before serving
– Add 1 diced apple after red pepper
All recipes and photos copyright of Foie Gras and Funnel Cakes unless otherwise noted.