I’ve been waiting for fall fruits to begin arriving to experiment with putting the warm flavors of fall together in some of my jam concoctions. Apples are finally here so you can expect to see me playing with some apple and pear recipes over the next few weeks. This one is the first I’ve come up with.
I used organic Gala apples. You’ll want to make sure to get a variety that can hold up to cooking for a while and that will not just get mushy and turn straight to sauce.
Apple, Red Onion and Rosemary Preserves
1 red onion, sliced thinly
3-4 stalks fresh rosemary, stripped and chopped
2-3 lbs. apples, cored, peeled and diced
1 ½ c. water
1 c. agave nectar
¼ c. lemon juice
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1) In sauté pan, wilt onion. As onion begins to brown, add rosemary and continue to sweat until onion has caramelized. Set aside.
2) Prep apples and immediately place in saucepan or stockpot containing water and lemon juice combo so apples will not brown.
3) Once apples are all prepped, bring apples, water and lemon juice to boil.
4) When apples have reached boiling, add agave, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5) Cook until desired thickness – approximately 20-30 minutes. Be careful that apples do not begin to breakdown too much – most of the pieces should retain their shape and chunkiness.
6) As preserves begin to get a thick consistency, add onion and rosemary to apples.
7) When desired consistency is reached, turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
8) Jar and water bath can per instructions for your altitude. Base canning time should be 15 minutes in the boiling bath. Turn off heat and let sit in water for 5 minutes before removing.
Some funky variations I think would be great:
– Substitute 1-2 tbsp. fresh sage for rosemary.
– Substitute 1-2 tsp. fresh thyme for rosemary.
– Crisp a few slices of bacon to add to apples along with the onions and rosemary.
– Substitute 1 medium bulb fennel for onion and star anise for cinnamon and nutmeg.
– Try cardamom instead of nutmeg.
Fall is going to be fun!
All recipes and photos copyright of Foie Gras and Funnel Cakes unless otherwise noted.